TDS Water Test Strips (Total Dissolved Solids) (50 strips)
£14.99 Ex VAT) Inc VAT (
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) are the total amount of mobile charged ions, including minerals, inorganic salts or metals dissolved in a given volume of water, these elements are usually calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium cations and carbonate, hydrogencarbonate, chloride, sulfate, and nitrate anions. TDS is directly related to the purity of water and the quality of water purification systems.
The presence of Total Dissolved Solids may affect the taste of water. The palatability of drinking water has been rated by panels of tasters in relation to its TDS level as follows**:
- excellent, less than 300 mg/litre;
- good, between 300 and 600 mg/litre;
- fair, between 600 and 900 mg/litre;
- poor, between 900 and 1200 mg/litre; and
- unacceptable, greater than 1200 mg/litre.
- water with extremely low concentrations of TDS may also be unacceptable because of its flat, insipid taste.
(** source: WHO Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality, Total Dissolved Solids in Drinking Water)
The EPA* Secondary Regulations advise a maximum contamination level of 500mg/liter (=500 parts per million (ppm)) for TDS. When TDS levels exceed 1000mg/l it is generally considered unfit for human consumption. A high level of TDS is an indicator of potential concerns, and warrants further investigation. Most often, high levels of TDS are caused by the presence of potassium, chlorides and sodium. These ions have little or no short-term effects, but toxic ions (lead arsenic, cadmium, nitrate and others) may also be dissolved in the water.
Water purification system, like Reverse Osmosis systems require regular monitoring for TDS to ensure the filters and/or membranes are effectively removing unwanted particles and bacteria from your water.
*EPA = US Environmental Protection Agency
Benefits of testing for TDS:
- Taste/ Health: High TDS results in undesirable taste which could be salty, bitter, or metallic. It could also indicate the presence of toxic minerals.
- Filter performance: Test your water to make sure the reverse osmosis or other type of water filter or water purification system has a high rejection rate and know when to change your filter (or membrane) cartridges.
- Hardness: High TDS indicates Hard water, which causes scale buildup in pipes and valves, inhibiting performance.
- Aquariums/Aquaculture: A constant level of minerals is necessary for aquatic life. The water in an aquarium or tank should have the same levels of TDS and pH as the fish and reef’s original habitat.
- Pools and Spas: TDS levels must be monitored to prevent maintenance problems.
These TDS water quality test strips are easy to use and designed to eliminate the need for breakable meters that require calibration:
- Simple Dip-Wait-Read Testing Method
- Test strips are stored in a plastic container with a detailed colour chart to protect them
- Ideal for quick and reliable testing of water
- Accurate results are achieved in under one minute
- This product is safe and easy to use since there are no chemicals to mix, an MSDS is not required
- Factory-calibrated water quality test strips
- Dip one test strip into water sample for 2 seconds.
- Remove strip and shake once briskly to remove excess sample.
- Wait 10 seconds and match colour with closest on colour chart. Complete colour matching within the next 20 seconds.
Sensititvity: <50, 100, 250, 500, >750 mg/l (ppm)
Total testing time: 32 seconds
Content: 50 test strips
Please note: Store in a cool, dry (below 32°C) place and away from excess heat and direct sunlight. No MSDS required. Keep away from children and pets. Avoid contact of test areas on strips with skin & eyes, do not ingest or expose to acids.
Made in USA
- Free UK Delivery
- We ship orders daily Monday – Friday (except bank holidays)
- Fast & efficient shipping
- Order by 12 noon for same day dispatch
UK Mainland Shipment Options:
- Free Super Saver (3-5 business days): £0.00
- Express (1-2 business days): £1.99
- Special Next Day (Monday to Friday): £9.98
European Shipment Options:
- International Shipping (5 – 10 Days)
Australia, New Zealand and USA Shipment Options:
- International Shipping (10 – 20 Days)
- We can ship worldwide – please contact us to obtain a quote for your destination
UK Mainland Shipping Provided by:
- Free Super Saver (3-5 business days) – This is a free service using 2nd Class Royal Mail and usually arrives within 3-5 working days. In the event that no one is at home to take delivery, a card will be left for collection from your local post office or courier.
- Express (1-2 business days) – This service uses 1st Class Royal Mail, costs a small fee and usually arrives within 1-2 working days. In the event no one is in to take delivery, a card will be left for collection from your local post office or courier.
- Special Next Day (Monday to Friday) – This express service by Courier or Royal Mail Special Delivery, is a next working day and fully tracked service. You will need to be in to accept delivery, otherwise they will attempt delivery again the following working day or you can collect from your local depot.
- Higher value orders may be shipped using Courier at no extra cost to ensure safe arrival.
- Mainland UK includes England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and all BFPO addresses.
International Delivery provided by:
- Royal Mail International – Depending on the order value this is part-tracked delivery service from Royal Mail. Delivery can take up to 2 weeks (depending on the destination country).
- International Courier Delivery – Depending on the order value this is a fully tracked service and can take up to 1 week (depending on the destination country).
- If the country that is receiving your order has strong regulations regarding the importation of goods including nutritional supplements, SimplexHealth cannot be held responsible for any additional fees incurred by Customs and/or Quarantine scanning. We also cannot accept responsibility for items returned by customs.
All delivery times are estimates and depend on local courier services as well as processing times through customs (where applicable).