You cannot see, smell, or taste most contaminants, but if they exist in your water, the potential danger to your health is staggering.

Increasing environmental pollution also affects the water which is used to supply us with drinking water. To ensure your family’s health and safety, it is important to make sure that your home drinking water is safe.

Common problems with water quality include:

 

 

  • Lead
  • Bacteria
  • pH
  • Hardness
  • Chlorine
  • Pesticides
  • Nitrates and Nitrites

Don’t just rely on your water supplier to deliver clean and safe water. Most contaminants can not be detected using smell, taste or look. Take back control with our range of simple home water test kits.

Our home water test kits offer you:

  • A simple and effective way to test your drinking water for up to 10 different water contaminants, including chlorine, lead, bacteria, nitrates & nitrites
  • Quick results without having to wait for days
  • A reliable initial indication about a potential contamination in your home

 What kits are available?

 

When to test drinking water

 

There are many reasons why you may want to test the water supply in your home or business. Some instances when it is recommended to test drinking water are listed below:

  • If your water supply is private, ie. comes from a well in your garden, then routine tests should be carried out regularly
  • If you have recurrent incidents of gastrointestinal illness within your family
  • If you suspect that your household plumbing contains lead pipes, fittings, or solder joints
  • If you are buying a new home or renting a new property
  • If water stains plumbing fixtures and laundry
  • If water has an objectionable taste or smell
  • If water appears cloudy, frothy, or coloured
  • If pipes or plumbing show signs of corrosion
  • If water leaves scaly residues or household appliances don’t appear to be working efficiently
  • If water supply equipment (pump, chlorinators, etc.) wear rapidly

Bacteria:

Bacteria are the most likely source of acute water-borne disease.

E. coli Bacteria and other potentially dangerous microbes are commonly found in our environment, but they should not be present in our drinking water. Thousands of cases of bacterial illness occur every year, many of them fatal. Most strains of bacteria are not toxic to humans, but some can cause very serious illness. Even mild cases can result in diarrhea, vomiting, cramps, and other gastrointestinal symptoms. Young children and people with weakened immune systems are more likely to be affected.

Since contaminated water may not taste or smell "bad", most cases of water-borne disease are not likely to be identified as such. The presence of bacteria in drinking water indicates that treatment methods are not working properly and are not adequately removing all viable microbes. When water treatment fails, drinking water may become potentially toxic. Community water systems take steps to disinfect drinking water, but they may not become aware of problems until it's too late.

Lead:

Toxic lead can leach from pipes and fixtures and contaminate the water used for cooking, washing and drinking in your household.

Many homes and buildings have pipes and plumbing fixtures that contain lead. Lead can leach from pipes into household water, making this plumbing a major source of water contamination and a potential source of lead poisoning. Lead is so toxic that even very low levels can be dangerous. Lead consumption and poisoning has been linked to many serious illnesses, especially in young children. Lead can harm mental and physical development and may cause brain abnormalities, kidney damage and hypertension.

As with other water contaminants, the risks of lead damage are much greater for children than for adults -- families should be particularly concerned about the health of the water supply. Consumers should test lead levels at each faucet in the home, especially if the plumbing fixtures could be from the 1980's or older.

Click here to read more detailed information if you have or think you may have a lead pipe in your home.

Pesticides:

Pesticides are all-too commonly found in drinking water.

Pesticides are deadly chemicals used to eliminate weeds, insects and other harmful elements in crops. Their pervasive use, however, has produced its own harm. Thanks to the rampant, unchecked use of pesticides by large industries for decades, it is now very common to find deadly pesticides contaminating our drinking water. Atrazine and Simazine are two of the pesticides most commonly found contaminating water sources.

More than 60 million pounds of these chemicals are introduced into the environment each year as herbicides and left to leak into the soil, groundwater, lakes and rivers that provide the water we drink. They are so toxic that the EPA-mandated maximum level is equivalent to less than one drop in a swimming pool. Certain laws regulate testing of community water supplies, but they are, in practice, rarely abided and community water sources go largely ignored and untested for years. Watersafe® brings laboratory-level accuracy within your reach and puts water-quality assurance back in your hands.

Nitrates and Nitrites:

These chemicals are a common yet incredibly harmful pollutant especially to children and pets.

When animal and human wastes or field fertilizers come into contact with water, they show up as nitrates and nitrites. Both are serious contaminants because they affect the very core of human life - birth and the development of young life. In 1992, when the survey was released, some 22,500 infants drinking domestic well water were estimated to be exposed to levels of nitrates exceeding the EPA safe drinking water limits; for community systems, the number was estimated to be 43,500 infants.

Chlorine:

While drinking chlorine in small amounts may not hurt, some chlorine by-products can.

The consumption of chlorine in very small amounts  will be unlikely to cause you serious harm. What may be harmful, however, are by-products such as chloroform, a dangerous toxin formed when chlorine mixes with organic matter.

Hardness:

When you have hard water, you may need twice as much soap to do a load of laundry.

Water hardness is primarily caused by calcium and magnesium compounds. These chemicals are not easily detected, but the numerous negative effects can be unpleasant and costly. When you have hard water it can take twice as much soap to do your laundry.

pH:

Knowing the pH level of your water can help you counteract the effects of high acidity.

If the acidity of your water is too high, corrosion can cause lead to leach out from pipes and plumbing, contaminating your drinking water and damaging your water supply system and water heater.

SSL