5in1: Coliform, Enterocc., pH, Conductivity, Cyanobacteria (Lab)
£339.00 Inc VAT (£282.50 Ex VAT)
Bulk Order Discount (Unit Price)
This laboratory test will check your water sample for the presence of coliform/E.coli, enterococci, pH, conductivity & cyanobacteria/ blue-green algae and is ideal to test open water used for swimming and other water sports acitivities (ie lake, river, pond or sea water).
This multi-test is ideal to test water, which is used for open water swimming, for 5 key elements:
- Coliform/E.coli Analysis: Tests for coliform bacteria and Escherichia coli (E.coli) are the most important routine microbiological examinations carried out on water. These tests provide a sensitive means for detecting faecal contamination, for assessing raw water quality, the effectiveness of water treatment and disinfection, and for monitoring the quality of potable water in distribution.
- Enterococci (Faecal Streptocci / Intestinal Enterococci) are commonly found in the faeces of human and warm-blooded animals. The presence of enterococci in recreational water is an indicator of faecal pollution and possible enteric pathogens.
- pH: The pH of human skin and eyes is around 7 which is why the pH of swimming pools is maintained in the range of 7.2 – 7.6. For open water swimming it is advised that the pH range should fall within 6 to 9 to prevent potential health issues.
- Conductivity measures is the ability of water to conduct electricity. Common ions in water that conduct electrical current include sodium, chloride, calcium and magnesium. Because dissolved salts and other inorganic chemicals conduct electrical current, conductivity increases as salinity increases. Salinity and total dissolved solids (TDS) are used to calculate the Conductivity of water, which helps to indicate the water’s purity. The purer the water the lower the conductivity.
- Cyanobacteria are aquatic and photosynthetic, and hence live in water. They are also called blue-green algae, but they are a bacteria not an algae. They are a health risk to humans and animals as they can produce neurotoxins, cytotoxins, endotoxins and hepatotoxins. Cyanobacteria reproduce explosively under certain conditions. This results in algal blooms, which can become harmful and pose a danger to humans and animals, if the cyanobacteria involved produce toxins.
Arranging a laboratory analysis is very easy and our service includes everything required to carry out this analysis.
- Certified laboratory results in 5 easy steps
- Includes everything required to carry out the test
- Simply collect the water sample and post it to our UKAS accredited laboratory* for expert analysis
- Ideal for home & business use
- The bacteria test is also suitable for waters with residual salinity
Testing open waters is important to make sure that you do not put yourself or others at risk from illnesses. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has published general guidelines. The European Union (EU) has also created a directive concerning the management of bathing water quality; it includes guidelines that all bathing water in the EU (including the UK) should meet. Swimming in inland water in the UK is regulated by the Bathing Water Regulations 1991 & 2013.
Tests should be carried out regularly, ideally at the beginning of the the swimming season, every 4 weeks, before an event or when there are visible changes to the water, after heavy rainfall as well as at the end of the bathing season.
For more information and how to understand the results of the test, also refer to our guide Water Quality Testing for Open Water Swimming.
Suitable for: water from lakes, rivers, ponds etc
The kit for laboratory analysis contains:
- Clear step-by-step instructions on how to collect the water sample(s),
- Sample pots to take various water samples of 500-1500ml each,
- Ice-packs which are to be frozen the day before the sample is taken and shipped to us with the sample,
- Insulated & pre-paid return packaging,
- Analysis by a UKAS accredited laboratory*.
(*Although there is currently no UKAS accreditation for open water swimming analysis, the laboratory has been accredited by UKAS)
How to use: Once you have ordered on our website, we will send you water sample bottles, clear instructions as well as pre-paid postage label and postage box to send the sample for laboratory analysis. Results will be sent per Email (to the Email address used in the order).
- Courier collection is included within your order. To ensure the sample meets UKAS accreditation, you should*:
- Freeze enclosed ice packs overnight and place in insulated box
- Take the sample on the same day of the courier collection.
*If this is not possible, please contact us. Otherwise we might not be able to analyse your sample.
Each order is shipped with 1x insulated packaging and pre-paid postage label; if you are planning on taking samples at different times/places, then please place separate orders.
Results: You will receive a report with your test results. This report shows the test results in the appropriate measurement, like ppm, mg/l, cfu/100ml etc. You can compare these results to the Guidelines set by the UK Bathing Water Regulations, a summary is also in our guide Water Quality Testing for Open Water Swimming.
- We require a full water sample to be able to perform the tests. Refunds will not be offered where minimum volume of the sample requirements are not met.
- Water samples must be taken the same day they are collected (this is vital for accurate analysis). Any results received outside of the specified holding time will receive a comment on the report to state the results could be compromised. Samples can be taken and posted Monday to Thursday. (For customers from outer Hebrides, Isle of Wight, Isle of Man and Cornwall: please check in advance to ensure overnight delivery is available in your area, refunds can not be given where services are not available).
- If you are planning to have more than 1 sample analysed, then all samples need to be taken and shipped to us for analysis at the same time. If you are planning on taking the samples at different times and/or places, then please place separate orders so that we can supply the correct amount of insulated packaging and pre-paid postage labels.
- This product requires insulated packaging to prevent the bacterial levels from changing in the post, the insulated packaging is therefore mandatory. Where the insulated packaging includes ice-packs then these need to be frozen the day before the sample is taken and shipped to us with the sample.
- Do not mix more than one sample per bottle; please ensure one sample bottle is used per sample outlet.
- This service is only available for UK customers. If you are looking to place an order from another country, please do contact us.
- Failure to comply with the requirements for sample collection might result in a failed analysis of your water sample. We can not refund orders where instructions have not been followed.
- Free UK Delivery
- We ship orders daily Monday – Friday (except bank holidays)
- Fast & efficient shipping
- Order by 12 noon for same day dispatch
UK Mainland Shipment Options:
- Free Super Saver (3-5 business days): £0.00
- Express (1-2 business days): £1.99
- Special Next Day (Monday to Friday): £9.98
European Shipment Options:
- International Shipping (5 – 10 Days)
Australia, New Zealand and USA Shipment Options:
- International Shipping (10 – 20 Days)
- We can ship worldwide – please contact us to obtain a quote for your destination
UK Mainland Shipping Provided by:
- Free Super Saver (3-5 business days) – This is a free service using 2nd Class Royal Mail and usually arrives within 3-5 working days. In the event that no one is at home to take delivery, a card will be left for collection from your local post office or courier.
- Express (1-2 business days) – This service uses 1st Class Royal Mail, costs a small fee and usually arrives within 1-2 working days. In the event no one is in to take delivery, a card will be left for collection from your local post office or courier.
- Special Next Day (Monday to Friday) – This express service by Courier or Royal Mail Special Delivery, is a next working day and fully tracked service. You will need to be in to accept delivery, otherwise they will attempt delivery again the following working day or you can collect from your local depot.
- Higher value orders may be shipped using Courier at no extra cost to ensure safe arrival.
- Mainland UK includes England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and all BFPO addresses.
International Delivery provided by:
- Royal Mail International – Depending on the order value this is part-tracked delivery service from Royal Mail. Delivery can take up to 2 weeks (depending on the destination country).
- International Courier Delivery – Depending on the order value this is a fully tracked service and can take up to 1 week (depending on the destination country).
- If the country that is receiving your order has strong regulations regarding the importation of goods including nutritional supplements, SimplexHealth cannot be held responsible for any additional fees incurred by Customs and/or Quarantine scanning. We also cannot accept responsibility for items returned by customs.
All delivery times are estimates and depend on local courier services as well as processing times through customs (where applicable).